Skip to main content

God is in control. But then, so are we

It's a really difficult theological issue. The Omni-potence of God. And the free will of men. The answer to the evils and the good of this world. Some people are fatalistic [Buddhists, Muslims, even some Christians]. No one can go against God and his will. Others say, no we can make or break our own lives.
It's the 100% God, 100% man principle that's really difficult the grasp. It's true God is sovereign. But God willed that man shall choose [albeit within the boundaries He has set]. And man CAN choose. They can choose to be out of God's will. Or in it. One choice causes evil and suffering, one leads to love and peace.
When I think about my future, I know it's safe in God's hands. But I also know, no matter what, I can also mess it up. I'm thinking till it hurts...about the stories in the Bible that show this. Samson, a classic example of a man with a great calling.[c'mon, an angel announced his birth. How many people have had that happen to them?] Messed it up. Never appreciated it. Did everything contrary to it. He is still a hero of faith. But his reward in heaven must be a lot less than it could have been.
Saul. And his lousy choices. We all know that story. How scary it is for God to remove his anointing from you, and still you do not repent [even Ahab repented. Wicked as he was].
I remember speaking to someone about this. We concluded that anything God says is going to happen[rhema] is going to happen despite the circumstances. But other than that, God's will is there, but it's not IMPOSED on anyone's free will.
The intricacies of the will of God.
:)

Comments

Ben Valentine said…
Hi Charis, Ben from Eureka here. :)

I was googling "Sovereignty of God" as this is a subject I've been pondering for the past 15 months. I've written a few entries on my own blog that deal with issue and thought you might want to take a look (I'll say in advance that based on my own readings of the Bible, I don't always agree with Ps Wilson's take on the issue):

"The Foolishness of Christ and Him Crucified"
http://www.xanga.com/Prayer_Warrior83/584183954/the-foolishness-of-christ-and-him-crucified.html

"GRACE IS OFFENSIVE!"
http://www.xanga.com/Prayer_Warrior83/552904045/grace-is-offensive.html

"John Piper is BAD!"
http://www.xanga.com/Prayer_Warrior83/557696854/john-piper-is-bad.html

"The mercy of God expressed through the Overcoming of the Human Will"
http://www.xanga.com/Prayer_Warrior83/588969430/the-mercy-of-god-expressed-through-the-overcoming-of-the-human-will.html

"A Reformed-Charismatic response to so-called 'Prophetic' and 'Power Evangelism' techniques"
http://www.xanga.com/Prayer_Warrior83/602370096/a-reformed-charismatic-response-to-so-called-prophetic-and-power-evangelism-techniques.html

"How the doctrine of Biblical Inspiration refutes the concept of free-will"
http://www.xanga.com/Prayer_Warrior83/624241100/how-the-doctrine-of-biblical-inspiration-refutes-the-arminianpelagian-view-of-free-will.html

God bless,

Ben V.

Popular posts from this blog

Love Alicia...but....

I've loved Alicia Keys since I was a teenager. She's gorgeous, talented, with an impeccable image of ghetto funkiness plus classy elegance. Love her voice and love her ideas. But....the lyrics....have more often than not been ...disappointing. I do think this article provides accurate critique of her work.

邱振哲PikA X 陳綺貞 - 太陽 (Cover by Charis 蔡佳靈 X Stephen Rong 榮忠豪)

太陽 Sun (Cover)

More Faith....in a GOOD GOD

Today, Miss '爆炸头' - a.k.a Winnie, a chick with a HUGE afro-ish Scary Spice hair-do prayed for me. She doesn't know me, but turned around after service and offered to pray for me. A few things came up during the prayer. She didn't specifically prophesy. But the way she was praying, she was getting stuff from the Spirit. She prayed Prov 4:18 ( The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day)  over me, for some time, stating that God would lead me, and the path would become brighter and brighter, clearer and clearer. I was to have faith. More faith that God would lead me safely and surely. She also stated the need to seek God even more through prayer for his presence and guidance (guilty. It's been difficult to be disciplined about prayer). She prayed and declared that my work would be the platform for many good things God wanted to do through me. The work and the position I had in my work was important, she...