I generally reflect a lot. And I feel even more.It brings me to great heights and plunging depths.
My recent topic of reflection has been my old school mates. I was trying to find out what had become of a few of them who had chosen to do music like I did. There were about 3-4 more who did. They took the road that is not often trodden upon and furthered their music locally or overseas.
These people were friends or church/school mates of mine at one time or another. Some were even my closest friends at one point in time. And they are all musical, in varying degrees. Perhaps not the most intellectual and academic people in the world. But then, many are not.
Coming back after 7 years, one thing about them saddens me. Their faith is....definitely not burning bright.
I was comparing my own journey to them. I think they have progressed in music technology further than I have [some of them]. I think they might have achieved a little bit more here and there than I have. Played more gigs. Won more competitions.But oh, where is the firm conviction? The growth? Where is God amidst all of this?
I suffered deep hurt at the hands on of one of them many years ago. I came back to find out the situation was worse than I thought back then. The lies..ugh But I am at peace. I have forgiven that person long ago. I only ache a little because I sometimes wonder if this person is saved even. From this person's speech, you wonder if they had changed at all from 7 years ago.
Another..Person B..is straying down dangerous paths. Isolation. No community. No church family. Questionable friendships. Hazy direction. I am more than a little anxious, for B is a nice person.
Person C is strongly passionate about work and music. This is a good thing. But the anger, unforgiveness and pettiness that C struggled with earlier is showing up even more strongly. Would a person growing in God say such ugly things publicly again and again about people they dislike? Would they justify it to be ok? Would they cling on to offence at any little thing?
I ache. How I ache. Not that I'm a saint. But I think Australia and Hope gave me the opportunity to make Jesus Christ my passion. My destiny. I've struggled with anger and unforgiveness and offence. With many more faults and sins. But there was always the community and leadership that saw me through. The many people who love God with all their hearts and serve Him so whole-heartedly.Who make Him their passion.
The things of God are so easily discussed.
It's not a matter of church attending or calling yourself Christian.
Church attending? What good is it unless you root yourself down to grow somewhere? Why be a Christian if you do not lay down your life and take up your cross?
Oh the calling! That God loves us and has a wonderful plan for our lives. That Jesus is Lord and deserves FULL allegiance. That spiritual things are food and drink for the soul/spirit. That there is always more and more than you can learn about God. Even the struggles and the wrestles are not in vain. The wonder and the pursuit of God and His face...oh....can anything replace that!
I often do not give God the attention and time He deserves. But...we have walked to a point that I know that obeying Him is best. That I am not afraid to wrestle with hard questions anymore. God can handle hard questions. God is absolutely fascinating. Can anything replace that? He is the wonder above all wonders. The compass of my life. I wonder, how can anyone live fully without knowing the purpose of living?
I hope and pray that my old friends will know God a bit more as they grow older.
Why be trapped in confusion, offence, apathy and unforgiveness? In a transient existence.
No No No.
God is supremely worth more than anything in this world.
My recent topic of reflection has been my old school mates. I was trying to find out what had become of a few of them who had chosen to do music like I did. There were about 3-4 more who did. They took the road that is not often trodden upon and furthered their music locally or overseas.
These people were friends or church/school mates of mine at one time or another. Some were even my closest friends at one point in time. And they are all musical, in varying degrees. Perhaps not the most intellectual and academic people in the world. But then, many are not.
Coming back after 7 years, one thing about them saddens me. Their faith is....definitely not burning bright.
I was comparing my own journey to them. I think they have progressed in music technology further than I have [some of them]. I think they might have achieved a little bit more here and there than I have. Played more gigs. Won more competitions.But oh, where is the firm conviction? The growth? Where is God amidst all of this?
I suffered deep hurt at the hands on of one of them many years ago. I came back to find out the situation was worse than I thought back then. The lies..ugh But I am at peace. I have forgiven that person long ago. I only ache a little because I sometimes wonder if this person is saved even. From this person's speech, you wonder if they had changed at all from 7 years ago.
Another..Person B..is straying down dangerous paths. Isolation. No community. No church family. Questionable friendships. Hazy direction. I am more than a little anxious, for B is a nice person.
Person C is strongly passionate about work and music. This is a good thing. But the anger, unforgiveness and pettiness that C struggled with earlier is showing up even more strongly. Would a person growing in God say such ugly things publicly again and again about people they dislike? Would they justify it to be ok? Would they cling on to offence at any little thing?
I ache. How I ache. Not that I'm a saint. But I think Australia and Hope gave me the opportunity to make Jesus Christ my passion. My destiny. I've struggled with anger and unforgiveness and offence. With many more faults and sins. But there was always the community and leadership that saw me through. The many people who love God with all their hearts and serve Him so whole-heartedly.Who make Him their passion.
The things of God are so easily discussed.
It's not a matter of church attending or calling yourself Christian.
Church attending? What good is it unless you root yourself down to grow somewhere? Why be a Christian if you do not lay down your life and take up your cross?
Oh the calling! That God loves us and has a wonderful plan for our lives. That Jesus is Lord and deserves FULL allegiance. That spiritual things are food and drink for the soul/spirit. That there is always more and more than you can learn about God. Even the struggles and the wrestles are not in vain. The wonder and the pursuit of God and His face...oh....can anything replace that!
I often do not give God the attention and time He deserves. But...we have walked to a point that I know that obeying Him is best. That I am not afraid to wrestle with hard questions anymore. God can handle hard questions. God is absolutely fascinating. Can anything replace that? He is the wonder above all wonders. The compass of my life. I wonder, how can anyone live fully without knowing the purpose of living?
I hope and pray that my old friends will know God a bit more as they grow older.
Why be trapped in confusion, offence, apathy and unforgiveness? In a transient existence.
No No No.
God is supremely worth more than anything in this world.
Comments