Skip to main content

Creative Freedom

The great things about coming to Taiwan is the broadening of my artistic perspective. I get to hear so many stories of different artists, both good and bad. I get to meet so different types of people, and I get to see music and art in a very different way from Malaysians or Australians.

Granted, a lot of the pop here is very formulaic and frankly quite boring. The indie and underground artists are actually more creative and fresh. It's been great meeting both kinds of artists. But when you find out what a pop celebrity has to endure to get to where they are, you do give them kudos for wanting it THAT much, and working THAT hard.

I'm still thinking...do I actually want to be an artist that becomes a celebrity? I'm still wondering and praying and deciding. So far, it's been exposure and research and talking to many different people about their experiences. It's great....knowing more, feeling more grounded, feeling less lost about this whole thing that was so aery-faery before. 

Do I really want to run from promo to promo non-stop? Do I want to worry about my hair, make up and clothes all the time? Do I want to always be pressurized to lose weight?....I'm currently about 5 kgs overweight for the pop industry. Do I want to lose most creative control over stuff? Do I want to be criticized online by all kinds of ignorant people who don't have a clue what's going on but you have to make them happy anyway...though they probably don't buy your CDs....it's piracy all the way. Haha. BUT, they might come to your concerts....That's where all the touring starts. That's how people earn money nowadays.

Still weighing up a lot of things. And I'm still asking God...hey...so...what's the next step here again? I'm doing lots of wonderful things. Mainly background things. A few upfront. Been doing a LOT of arranging...which is very good training and it's building up my portfolio. Doing studio session work. Doing some TV stuff. Serving on praise and worship as a vocalist more than I have ever done in my life [I've been a keyboardist for sosososo long. 13 years].   Taking composing lessons. Free-lancing like that is actually a LOT of fun. And no teaching.....hurrah. I wouldn't mind picking it up again in very small doses, but I'm so glad I'm not stuck to it day after day. 

But there's more....I think there will be much more. I'm not despising the days of small beginnings. Heck,  I already get to do what many established christian musos do in Taipei. Jeff the producer commented that I've got to do a lot of different things...I'm very lucky I'm well-looked after. But I replied, "Hey...I expect God to look after me. He called me here...my Daddy God will and SHOULD be responsible for what happens to me as long as I keep hearing his voice and stay in line."

But yea....I'm also learning to ease up in terms of old habits regarding clothes and accessories. I've been inspired by many who are very creative in what they wear. I'm still all for comfort and practicality first...it's silly to torture yourself. But to be dramatic and eye-catching is not a sin. One doesn't HAVE to blend in.....

More to learn....lead on, my Lord.

Comments

Dayo said…
Keep on trucking!! ^_^
Dayo said…
Really glad to hear that you are getting to do more of what you love.

Popular posts from this blog

Love Alicia...but....

I've loved Alicia Keys since I was a teenager. She's gorgeous, talented, with an impeccable image of ghetto funkiness plus classy elegance. Love her voice and love her ideas. But....the lyrics....have more often than not been ...disappointing. I do think this article provides accurate critique of her work.

邱振哲PikA X 陳綺貞 - 太陽 (Cover by Charis 蔡佳靈 X Stephen Rong 榮忠豪)

太陽 Sun (Cover)

There is still a chance for the 71,849 single men

I opened my facebook profile and LO and BEHOLD, I saw a string of comments, wall comments and msgs in my inbox congratulating me about my 'not-single anymore status'. Why? Because I decided to remove the 'single' listing on my Facebook profile. I merely didn't want to post it up anymore. A whim that resulted in... HILARIOUSNESS! Here are a couple of samples: "Charis has been woozy since thursday, is it luvvve??" "huh? o_O? is there something i don't know??" "so when u going to belanja us all makan??? >. "heh.... really!?....there are 71,849 single men in brisbane who will be very dissapointed... very.." "is this for real .. if so, congrats charis :-)" "Hey great news to hear, Congrats loh! By the way who is the lucky Guy?" " Hey. No longer single? Share some news. ;) " Man o man!