Skip to main content

After 9 months in Taipei....

Typical scene in Taipei. 
Wet, rainy, cars, lights, food stalls...

I know my way around a bit more. I'm an MRT expert :P. I know most of the types of food offered around here. I've been to quite a few churches, I've gotten to know hundreds of people. 

The dynamic is changing somehow. I'll have to move out soon...no more cushy lifestyle up in the mountains. Boohoo. I've been enjoying the luxury of my room, double bed, fast internet, home-cooked meals etc. Now it's time to go room-hunting. Ah. The realities of life. 

I am now more settled in church and life-group. So there is no urge to go run around and visit the other churches like I used to. Therefore, I meet up with some other friends less. Sigh. Have to make more effort. Friendships require effort. Networking is hard work. So this week, I visited the 7 shekels home group, I visited my Home of Christ caregroup friends, and I jammed with the Omni band. 

As hard as the road gets sometimes psychologically, I do thank God everyday for my family here. There's my spiritual father, Jack who imparts spiritually when he has the chance, and treats me to lunch once a week. And sends me to the airport when I travel. Gives me opportunities to serve in the worship team and at conferences. Who is one of the most generous, forgiving and encouraging people I've known. And then there's the 'career' father, Jeff who has given me 70% of my jobs here, be it arranging or performing. Despite his busy schedule and previous 'high and mighty' status, he avails time to chat with about my music, and was one of the first people to listen to my stuff, and evaluate it thoroughly, and give useful feedback throughout these few months. Jeff is one of the most creative and multi-talented people I've ever know, with skills in so many different areas. His philosophy, vast knowledge, and crypticness makes him really interesting to get to know as a person. 

So 'Father' Jack took me out for lunch with all the GOOD TV gang yesterday. And 'Father' Jeff called me tonight and was saying he had recommended me for a gig in June. Cross-over classical and pop. Arranging and performing. I was interested and grateful. 
And then the conversation extended to more personal things. Eg. My coming EP, balancing family and my career, my financial concerns, my currently non-existent romantic life, my career in Mandarin music requiring me to base myself in somewhere like Taiwan etc. I was thinking, we have come a LONG way from his initial tired, grumpy and suspicious 'Er. So who are you and why would want to do something like that (be an artist) anyway?' 


There's Rubecca, my big sister, the best hang out buddy and worship team co-server. Without her I would have been heaps lonely these few months. We also meet once a week.

There's my life-group who are the sweetest people on earth. My life-group leaders, Daniel and Cheryl are awesome and spiritual ppl who love God and love life. And they are getting MARRIED this year.

There's Sharon, my friend and lyrics partner, who is always so nutsy and encouraging I can't help but be more positive around her. There's Ray and the 7 Shekels. They are people who love God, and are the most authentic ppl to be around for music, worship, fashion, fun and food. 

There's the Omni people. Sophie, who's Sanguineness never fails to amaze and uplift me. Aeon, who's phlegmatic humour makes ma roll my eyes all the time, and his overall willingness to serve and help people around me is great to see. Jacob, Teddy, Lilian, Ah Fan etc. All God-fearing folks. 

My landlord and family who've only shown kindness and generosity to me since I've arrived.

I'm blessed. And I will not give up so quickly when God has provided much rich blessing around me to keep me going and encouraged.



Comments

Sulyn said…
=)

keep going, Ris.
Charismatic said…
Thanks Su! You too!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Alicia...but....

I've loved Alicia Keys since I was a teenager. She's gorgeous, talented, with an impeccable image of ghetto funkiness plus classy elegance. Love her voice and love her ideas. But....the lyrics....have more often than not been ...disappointing. I do think this article provides accurate critique of her work.

邱振哲PikA X 陳綺貞 - 太陽 (Cover by Charis 蔡佳靈 X Stephen Rong 榮忠豪)

太陽 Sun (Cover)

More Faith....in a GOOD GOD

Today, Miss '爆炸头' - a.k.a Winnie, a chick with a HUGE afro-ish Scary Spice hair-do prayed for me. She doesn't know me, but turned around after service and offered to pray for me. A few things came up during the prayer. She didn't specifically prophesy. But the way she was praying, she was getting stuff from the Spirit. She prayed Prov 4:18 ( The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day)  over me, for some time, stating that God would lead me, and the path would become brighter and brighter, clearer and clearer. I was to have faith. More faith that God would lead me safely and surely. She also stated the need to seek God even more through prayer for his presence and guidance (guilty. It's been difficult to be disciplined about prayer). She prayed and declared that my work would be the platform for many good things God wanted to do through me. The work and the position I had in my work was important, she...