I mentioned in the previous post that I sang at an open mic last week. It was casual event called Pearl Cafe, held by Victor and Theo's church (called The Pearl). I sang 2 songs at event, followed by a Katy Perry cover in response to an enthusiastic 'encore' shout-out from the audience.
Flying kites with boys was a song I wrote for a play of the same title by Tendayi Nyeke, my Zimbabwean friend who is currently based in South Africa. It was one of those songs that I didn't need to 'think' through very hard. It just flowed out. At that time, Tendayi herself was going through a lot of rough patches, and I had enough history in my life to relate with her pain. The mutual angst made producing this song very easy. At that time, I also called upon muso-friend, Sulyn to arrange some backing strings for it. She did a beautiful job, though I will have to let everyone listen to that track another day.
Lyrics are available in the video description. Enjoy. And free to comment on the video. :-)
Comments