Skip to main content

Simple love

Omni Kids


Impulsively, I told 以琳 [black jacket] that I would visit them this Sunday, because I wasn't on worship this week, and I haven't seen the dance team kids since the tour ended in August. I do keep in touch online with them, but I thought to myself, if I profess to care for them, I should see them outside the tour too.

Thank God today was sunny. The rain has been driving me bonkers. Literally. No wonder people in grey and cold countries are prone to suicide and bad tempers. But today's weather was perfect. Sunny and cold. The kids belong to the Eternal Light Presbyterian Church. I was punctual today, and surprised that the service only lasted 1.5 hours. That's really short compared to all the churches I've been serving/attending/visiting. The 2 sisters 以琳 and 以雯 sat next to me. After service, all the kids I knew gave me a big hug each. It was heart-warming. These kids might be young teenagers [Chun Yan is a university student in his 20's, but still acts like a kid], and sometimes I feel like they are really sheltered and somewhat spoiled, but they express love very directly and simply. And for me, I soak that up like a sponge. How rare it is to have ppl say they love you every few minutes, even among well-meaning friends and family! How rare it is for ppl to hug you every now and then, to constantly affirm each other's 'beauty' even in a joking manner. 

When I'm in a work environment, there are so many factors to consider that one ends up being somewhat reserved. Almost professional and distant on purpose. An assertive, independent yet cordial stance. One must never appear too vulnerable, too sweet and innocent or too dumb. Or no one takes you seriously. Here, with the kids, it's ok to breathe. To be sweet and cute with them. To let them love you.  And to say you love them too. 

After church, we all had lunch. We snapped some photos. We all said we missed each other. I asked about their schooling. Chatted with one of the mothers. Very relaxed stuff. I'm still kinda tired after traipsing everywhere in heavy boots [it's getting pretty cold]. But I wish, sometimes, that relationships could be that direct and simple, even when we're grown up. But I've chosen an industry that requires the wisdom of a serpent though one strives to stay as innocent as a dove....Tough.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Alicia...but....

I've loved Alicia Keys since I was a teenager. She's gorgeous, talented, with an impeccable image of ghetto funkiness plus classy elegance. Love her voice and love her ideas. But....the lyrics....have more often than not been ...disappointing. I do think this article provides accurate critique of her work.

邱振哲PikA X 陳綺貞 - 太陽 (Cover by Charis 蔡佳靈 X Stephen Rong 榮忠豪)

太陽 Sun (Cover)

There is still a chance for the 71,849 single men

I opened my facebook profile and LO and BEHOLD, I saw a string of comments, wall comments and msgs in my inbox congratulating me about my 'not-single anymore status'. Why? Because I decided to remove the 'single' listing on my Facebook profile. I merely didn't want to post it up anymore. A whim that resulted in... HILARIOUSNESS! Here are a couple of samples: "Charis has been woozy since thursday, is it luvvve??" "huh? o_O? is there something i don't know??" "so when u going to belanja us all makan??? >. "heh.... really!?....there are 71,849 single men in brisbane who will be very dissapointed... very.." "is this for real .. if so, congrats charis :-)" "Hey great news to hear, Congrats loh! By the way who is the lucky Guy?" " Hey. No longer single? Share some news. ;) " Man o man!