Skip to main content

The young and the restless

Of course, I'm not referring to THAT soap. I'm talking about a loosely constructed organization called the Fire-makers,  a bunch of Christian artists/musos/hair and makeup stylists etc who are...well, young and restless. 

After reflecting on 2012, I realised that the Fire-makers have become community for me in the areas of work and ministry. *I am still involved with my 'normal people/normal life' cell-group. They are 'family' in ways that divert me from the music world, which is very necessary sometimes. And they keep me in touch with the 'normal' world of people who work 9am to 5pm [or 8am - 8pm more likely], who don't play instruments, who are experts in other fields etc.  From October to December, I saw most of the Fire-makers every 1-2 days, mainly due to our involvement in the extravagant evangelistic concerts held in night-clubs every Friday. Then, of course, the organization is fairly well-funded by well-to-do socialites and business people from a church called the 101. So, there are no lack of dinners+ lunches+ parties as 'celebrations' or 'rewards' for the endless string of rehearsals, performances, cell-meetings, out-reach events etc that everyone finds themselves smack in the middle of being involved.

Some of these people have become good mates of mine. Mates I miss when I leave Taiwan, and who, (hopefully) seem to miss me too. A few of our characteristics:

Young [or young at heart :P]
Restless [everyone wants to change the world, somehow or other]
Creative [musical or artistic]
Passionate [or straight emotional]
A tinge 'rebellious' or non-conformist
Flawed [sometimes seriously]
Unique, some just border on weird
Ridiculous, maybe?
Angsty [most of us]
Shrewd
Avid social networkers [FB, Weibo, Twitter, Youtube. You name it, we're on it]
Fashionable [or try-hard. Hah] 
Multi-taskers [many serve in different churches/organizations/ministries]



IM (evangelistic concert team)


A celebratory lunch after a successful 纪文惠 [singer] evangelistic concert]


The Firemakers in Shanghai for the 'I will share' concert and charity events

To:
Chch (singer), J (model and singer), D (bassist, talker, prankster), 
TC(guitarist and engineer), WC (the keyboardist who is in love :P)
SS (young pastor and joker), Aldo (guitarist and chatter), 
FZ (drummer and cutie), TY (funny opera-er), 
HK( male vocalist), DD (efficient manager), AF (film director)
SA (frantic admin), ZC (stoic drummer with a hidden mischevous side)

After moving around so much, and making friends, as well as leaving them, I have come to realize that most things in life are transient. In 5 years, who knows where we will be or what we will be doing....we are a young and restless bunch, with nothing to hold us very strongly to anything except our love for God and our passion to live life to the max. But I appreciate the time we have now. It is a blessing to find people who are just as restless as I am, and who want to do something good, and who won't settle for just what everybody else is doing. Thank God for all of you and <3 you all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Alicia...but....

I've loved Alicia Keys since I was a teenager. She's gorgeous, talented, with an impeccable image of ghetto funkiness plus classy elegance. Love her voice and love her ideas. But....the lyrics....have more often than not been ...disappointing. I do think this article provides accurate critique of her work.

邱振哲PikA X 陳綺貞 - 太陽 (Cover by Charis 蔡佳靈 X Stephen Rong 榮忠豪)

太陽 Sun (Cover)

There is still a chance for the 71,849 single men

I opened my facebook profile and LO and BEHOLD, I saw a string of comments, wall comments and msgs in my inbox congratulating me about my 'not-single anymore status'. Why? Because I decided to remove the 'single' listing on my Facebook profile. I merely didn't want to post it up anymore. A whim that resulted in... HILARIOUSNESS! Here are a couple of samples: "Charis has been woozy since thursday, is it luvvve??" "huh? o_O? is there something i don't know??" "so when u going to belanja us all makan??? >. "heh.... really!?....there are 71,849 single men in brisbane who will be very dissapointed... very.." "is this for real .. if so, congrats charis :-)" "Hey great news to hear, Congrats loh! By the way who is the lucky Guy?" " Hey. No longer single? Share some news. ;) " Man o man!