Skip to main content

Growing and Learning Part 2

Growing to know my own voice
After recording a lot of vocals this year, I am happy to say that I have grown in this area. I am starting to learn how to write melodies that I can actually sing and suit my vocal range. Previously, I wrote songs based on how 'good' they sounded, without even custom-tailoring the melody or range to myself. After repeated 'constructive criticism'  sessions with my mentor, I've started limiting my note ranges when I write melodies. I've also started changing the keys of my old songs. I've started exploring different tonal textures and ways of singing. Tiring but exciting.

The scary thing called "putting myself out there"
During my reflective moments, I realized that I've shied away from performing my own songs in public for a long time. Since uni days. I've shied away from being a singer-songwriter, prefering to hide behind the more respectable and reserved 'keyboardist', 'music director', 'band-leader', and 'arranger'. That way, I never put myself on the stage in a way that I feel completely naked and vulnerable. But I'm starting to push myself now. If this is what I want to do, if this is what God has called me to do, I need to be bold and courageous. I've started exploring more options to play more gigs. Trust God and also develop a thicker skin.

Keep improving and keep growing!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Alicia...but....

I've loved Alicia Keys since I was a teenager. She's gorgeous, talented, with an impeccable image of ghetto funkiness plus classy elegance. Love her voice and love her ideas. But....the lyrics....have more often than not been ...disappointing. I do think this article provides accurate critique of her work.

邱振哲PikA X 陳綺貞 - 太陽 (Cover by Charis 蔡佳靈 X Stephen Rong 榮忠豪)

太陽 Sun (Cover)

There is still a chance for the 71,849 single men

I opened my facebook profile and LO and BEHOLD, I saw a string of comments, wall comments and msgs in my inbox congratulating me about my 'not-single anymore status'. Why? Because I decided to remove the 'single' listing on my Facebook profile. I merely didn't want to post it up anymore. A whim that resulted in... HILARIOUSNESS! Here are a couple of samples: "Charis has been woozy since thursday, is it luvvve??" "huh? o_O? is there something i don't know??" "so when u going to belanja us all makan??? >. "heh.... really!?....there are 71,849 single men in brisbane who will be very dissapointed... very.." "is this for real .. if so, congrats charis :-)" "Hey great news to hear, Congrats loh! By the way who is the lucky Guy?" " Hey. No longer single? Share some news. ;) " Man o man!