Skip to main content

'Breathers'

I have a fortnight's 'breather'. 'Breather' is in quotation marks because the time spent working needs to be productively spent on preparing for more work. Hah. That is why I am still on the computer at 1.30am. 

My 'breather' is due to the fact that the Nanchang show for David Tao was unexpectedly cancelled less than a week before the show date. And, I have also finished all my vocal recording for hymnal album (unless there are some backing vocals I have to do). It's quite interesting to myself that I've barely sung any backing vocal parts for this album. A very 'unplugged' way of arranging and recording the music.

I have 2 weeks to relax, supposedly. But I've been trying to organize my next few months.

Two months. It's a very short time to pump out a full length album. But I'm relishing the process and I'm not too stressed. It's a blessing to be able to have someone provide the funds to record an acoustic hymnal album almost exactly as you envisioned it, to have a great partner to work with (thanks T ^^), and to have upcoming opportunities to perform and share at different venues, cafes and churches while being able to do ministry at the same time.

Once again, in the wee hours of the morning, random thoughts flit through my head. I was editing a video clip of my first Riverside performance in March, called 'It Starts From Here'. I was critiquing each song performance, and I find that I don't sing my own songs that well. Sigh. Perhaps they weren't written when I was schooled in considering 'singability' and 'within my range'. And more and more, I find that I don't belt that well. Not gifted that way. I can do a couple of belts here and there, but to consistently belt through a whole song or a whole set just makes me tired, and I don't sound my best.

AND, as my mentor has constantly pointed out, I still need to work on my Chinese pronunciation and emoting my Chinese songs. They need to have at least half the comfort level of my English songs.

Funnily enough, I haven't had too many of these pronunciation and range issues whilst recording this Chinese hymnal album. Thank God for that. Perhaps the songs I picked were well within my range. Perhaps my stylistic choice of music suits me better than the crazy variety that my own originals span.

It'll be ironic if I end up being known as this easy-listening songstress. But then, as long as it still fulfils a particular vision in my head, I don't mind.

Heh. I'm never giving up on pushing that first original Chinese album out though. It is a long delayed baby. It MUST be pushed out.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Alicia...but....

I've loved Alicia Keys since I was a teenager. She's gorgeous, talented, with an impeccable image of ghetto funkiness plus classy elegance. Love her voice and love her ideas. But....the lyrics....have more often than not been ...disappointing. I do think this article provides accurate critique of her work.

邱振哲PikA X 陳綺貞 - 太陽 (Cover by Charis 蔡佳靈 X Stephen Rong 榮忠豪)

太陽 Sun (Cover)

There is still a chance for the 71,849 single men

I opened my facebook profile and LO and BEHOLD, I saw a string of comments, wall comments and msgs in my inbox congratulating me about my 'not-single anymore status'. Why? Because I decided to remove the 'single' listing on my Facebook profile. I merely didn't want to post it up anymore. A whim that resulted in... HILARIOUSNESS! Here are a couple of samples: "Charis has been woozy since thursday, is it luvvve??" "huh? o_O? is there something i don't know??" "so when u going to belanja us all makan??? >. "heh.... really!?....there are 71,849 single men in brisbane who will be very dissapointed... very.." "is this for real .. if so, congrats charis :-)" "Hey great news to hear, Congrats loh! By the way who is the lucky Guy?" " Hey. No longer single? Share some news. ;) " Man o man!